Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What? You mean that's actually a thing?

I know this may seem odd, but I thought that I had a pretty good idea what sports were out there in this vast world.  You know, I knew about Cricket, so I thought I was set.  I figured that the majority of the games were prevalent, seen at the Olympics, popularized by ESPN.  But apparently I was mistaken.  For example, have you ever heard of netball?  Yep, me either.  It is played worldwide, most prominently in England and mainly by women.  It appears, from brief Wikipedia skim, to be a miniaturized basketball game.  How about the game of bandy?  This one I'm going to chalk up to the fact that I live in a warm climate and thus rarely deal with snow or ice or any of that nonsense.  It seems to me that bandy is actually just what Americans call hockey.  Speaking of hockey, did you know that in the rest of the world, hockey seems to be associated with what Americans call field hockey?  I know field hockey is played more so on the East Coast and at affluent private schools nationwide, as are lacrosse and crew.  But there are others I've never heard any mention of!  Like shinty, which again, seems like a variation of field hockey and is regularly played in Ireland.

I'm pretty locked up in the UK here, but what else is out there?  God, I'm such a small-town American.

No comments:

Post a Comment